Wednesday, January 19, 2011

When the going gets tough, the tough get going!

So my title is our family motto for the past month and for the upcoming months. There is so much that has happened in the last few months and I so wish I was better about blogging. Today I woke up with the resolve to post on my blog and just start somewhere.

Kevin left for Spokane, Washington on the 8th of January and will be gone until February 20th. Him leaving has come at a particularly hard time for our family, but also a very spiritual time. On Christmas Eve, we were spending the day skiing with some very dear friends of ours. Chauncy, Kelli, Elise "Eli"(5 years old), Milli(3 years old), and Logan(3 months old) have been great friends to us since we moved here. It has been such a wonderful pleasure to watch their children as Kelli pursued her CNA and other times just to hang out.

Kelli and Eli were involved in a tragic accident while we were skiing that day. A snowboarder collided with both of them. Kevin and Kambria had been skiing near them and saw the accident happen. Kambria came to the lodge and Kevin went to help. Kevin did CPR on Eli, while ski patrol and other medical professionals that were skiing that day also worked on Kelli and the snowboarder. Beautiful Elise did not survive, nor did the snowboarder. Kelli was life-flighted to the hospital. She spent a week in the ICU with some of those days being in a medical coma. Kelli is now in Denver going through extensive rehabilitation, due to numerous brain, skull, and vertebrae injuries. She is awake and trying to get her body to heal. Unfortunately, she has amnesia and is not aware of the events of the last month. Chauncy and Kelli are such examples of faith and unwavering love!

Our hearts have been so broken through this, but they have also grown so much! It has taught us to really appreciate every moment and to treasure those around us! So yes, Kevin leaving for 6 weeks comes at a very difficult time, but also a very strong time in our marriage and family. We have learned how important it is to work together and work things out! We are so thankful for the example of Elise! She was such a sweet spirit and so loving! We will miss her!

I have to also say how thankful I am for my wonderful children. They are so helpful and good to me! My birthday was on Sunday the 16th. Kolbi had been sick that whole week and I wasn't sure if I should take her to church or not. When she woke without a fever and seeming like she was feeling somewhat better, we decided to go to church. Kyle kept saying, "Mom, it isn't fair for you to stay home on your birthday!" All of the kids were excellent at church. After church Kaylee made me a yummy sandwich and they all sang Happy Birthday to me while I blew out a candle on the cake that Kaylee and Kambria made for me the day before with their Easy Bake Oven. I love my kids!!!! Later, we were treated with a yummy dinner at our great neighbors across the street.

So in the midst of trials, great blessings come! I am thankful for the knowledge the gospel has given me and that I know the Lord will answer our prayers and watch out for us! His plan is divine and there is purpose in all things!



This is a picture of Kaylee with Eli (and Kyle in the background) while we were hiking on Casper Mountain this fall. We will miss you, Eli!

4 comments:

Hallie Owens said...

I am so sorry to hear of this tragedy that your family and especially your friends are going through. We will keep them in our prayers. As a side note Landon has called one of his stuffed animals his sister and he named her Kaylee. Reminds us of you every time. All the best to you and the kids while Kevin is gone :)

Dustin and Melissa said...

We are so sorry for your loss of a good friend. We are thinking of you all.

Todd and Amyjoy said...

Nice surprise today that you blogged! Keep it up!
Hang in there. I am glad that though your hearts are broken for their family, that the Lord fills them in other ways.
Tender mercies...

Trent said...

What an ordeal!! Your positive attitude is an inspiration. I hope your friend is still improving.